Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wednesday: Meet the YM Team - Pastor John Basiwa (IT Tender Ministry Leader)

The Urgent Call of God

‘And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life’ 
Matthew 19:29

I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior as a youth on October 21, 1990.  Three years later, God called me into full time service in our church as a missionary.  God’s call was not an easy one to follow because I was working full time and just finished my vocational studies in mechanics.  I am the eldest child and was the breadwinner for my family, who looked to me to provide them a secure financial future. 

Upon graduation, I was offered an all expenses paid internship at a car manufacturing firm in Japan where I was told I could expect to be hired full time at the completion of the program.  During the same time, the company for which I was currently working offered me a salary increase.  Also, a friend of my mom’s boss offered me an opening as a seaman working abroad. 

While this was all happening, my parents business was slowing down and they were relying on me more and more for support.  Despite my circumstances, I felt the urgent call of God and gave Him control of my career and future.  I resigned from my job, rejected the earthly offers and grabbed God’s offer to serve Him.  I didn’t, however, realize the negative effects my decision would have on my relationship with my family. 

My father persecuted me and told me to give up my full time work for the Lord and go back to my old job.  In front of my sisters, brothers and mother, he told me that if I did not go back to my old job he would forget me as his son.  I knew that this was going to be the hardest decision I would have to make in my entire life, but I knew God was in control. 

As I was deciding what to do, God spoke to me in this verse, ‘And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.’  This verse became very real to me when I made the decision to obey God and leave my family in spite of the difficulties I would face.  Throughout it all, God assured me that He is in control and that everything would come to pass.  My family and I soon reconciled and our relationship became much closer again.

In August 2000 I joined International Teams, Philippines to start a new ministry, called ‘Mercy Ministry’ which reaches out and cares for a group of solvent abusers living in Alabang and Sucat, nicknamed ‘Rugby Boys.’  For the next 7 years, I focused my attention on Mercy Ministry and began pasturing a church in Alabang while my wife, Gella, ran our direct selling business, which provided the financial support for our family. 

We were also blessed by being able to rent and renovate a house during this time.   In July 2007, Matthew 19:29 became real once again as God spoke to me, asking, ‘If I ask you to give up your business, are you willing?  If I ask you to give up your house, are you willing?  God had impressed on our hearts the passion to open a drop in center for the Mercy Ministry boys where we could more effectively minister to them through discipleship, leadership training, personal hygiene care, workshops, scholarships and feedings.   I was hesitant at first but soon found out that God was asking the same questions to my wife as well.  We prayed together as a family and asked for God’s protection, wisdom, strength and courage because we knew it would be a hard transition. 

We had invested a lot in our house and we were managing hundreds of people in our business.  During this time my wife prayed for a sign from the Lord to tell us if this was really what God wanted us to do with our life.  During a daily devotion, God spoke to her through the story of Noah, where the rainbow became God’s covenant between God and Noah.  Gella prayed to God and asked Him to show her a rainbow as a sign that this was the decision our family was supposed to make. 

On January 25, 2008 at 10am, God affirmed our decision as we were attending a school celebration with our kids.  During a bright and sunny day, a large rainbow appeared out of the sky and at that moment we knew what our decision was going to be.  Gella immediately texted all our dealers and informed them that we were ending the business that very day.  The decision was a difficult one, but we choose to give up our business and our house and trust God’s plan for our lives. 

Matthew 19:29 had become real for my family because it didn’t only have to do with leaving my ‘brothers, sisters, father or mother’ for God’s sake but also ‘houses’ and ‘fields,’ relating to the sale of our house and business.  We know that the rest of the verse will come true as well and we ‘will receive one hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.’  We had begun to live out the phrase, ‘Let Go, and Let God’

We soon met with the owner of the house and told him that we felt God’s calling to start the Mercy Ministry Center and that we would be turning over the house to him.  We did not ask him to reimburse any of the money that we spent renovating the house over the 7 years we lived there because we believed that this was God’s plan and we trusted Him to provide for us.  Again, God reminded me of Matthew 19:29, ‘And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.’

We found a two story, three-bedroom apartment in Alabang complete with a garage and a spacious first floor that we will be able to use for the feedings and other activities.  We plan on moving in during March 2008, but we need to complete our fundraising of P 15,000 to pay the previous renters outstanding electricity bill.  We also will have to renovate the apartment, as it is very old and dirty.  Fortunately, the outstanding electricity bill and renovation costs will be deductible from the monthly rent. 

It’s been almost three years since that day, and every single day, is a day to witness God’s faithfulness.  The Lord provided and continues to provide for all the needs of the drop-in center and the rest of the needs of the ministry.  He also provides for our own personal needs.  Right now we are renting an apartment about 10 minutes from the drop in center.  Looking back, if I had to live my life again, I want it exactly the same.  Because I can honestly say that God is so faithful to His Word and promises.

(NOTE:  Pastor John Basiwa is the team leader of the IT Tender Ministry.  Together with his wife, Gella, who is the ministry administrator, they reach out to countless street children in Metro Manila especially those who are sniffing glue, abandoned and maltreated.  They have two children, John Erick (Jarrick) and John Michael (JM).)




No comments: