Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Meet the YM Team - Kristofer Purificacion - Batang Krayola Ministry Leader

Kristofer's Testimony

Toph and one of the Aeta kids during the 2009 Christmas Party in Kanawan

Hi, my name is Kristofer T. Purificacion or simply “Toph”, as how my friends and co-workers would call me.  I am currently serving the Lord as the worship leader of our local church and at the same time, as the ministry leader of Batang Krayola (Child Crayon), a street children’s ministry under the Youth Mobilization team.  Batang Krayola aims to teach, train and equip street kids so that they will become great leaders in their home, society, and the world.

Salvation

I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior when I was 19 years old during a youth camp held in Rizal Re-creation Center, Laguna last May 17-19, 2006. It was my god-father whom I have not seen for almost 19 years who brought me to church. He chanced upon me one time while I was playing with my old band mates for an occasion near our place in Carmona, Cavite. 

He immediately asked me if I am free every Saturday night until Sunday afternoon. I didn’t know that at that moment, he was actually planning to take me to the church where he attends. I said yes.  The first time I attended church, I felt very awkward because during the congregational singing, I saw some who are laughing and at the same time, some are crying.  I didn’t understand it at first.

But as the worship leader started leading the congregation in singing, I started to focus on the message of the songs and not to anything else.  That’s how I started to know the Lord.  He used the songs to reveal himself to me.  It became clear to me when I surrendered everything to him during that youth camp in 2006.  So every Saturday night, my god-father would let me sleep in their house and we wake-up early morning to go to Makati for the church Sunday service.

Calling

As I continued attending church, one Sunday, the worship leader offered me a chance to serve God through the worship team. I immediately grabbed that opportunity and I started playing the guitar for the worship team. Then in January 05, 2007, my pastor invited me to join the Youth Mobilization team, a ministry under International Teams Philippines. I saw it as an opportunity from God to serve not only our church, but also other churches as well.  On the other hand, another opportunity came - an opportunity to work overseas. It will be a big chance for me to earn money that I badly needed to finish my studies. 

It was the hardest decision I had to make in my life. I didn’t know what to do, but God reminded me of this verse, "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you (Matthew 6:33)." By faith and with my mother’s permission, I left our house in Cavite, to join other missionaries and live in the city.  I declined the offer to go overseas, and instead opted to serve God. Because of that God opened my eyes to see many struggling people around me. They are headed for destruction unless someone tells them that God’s salvation is available for all of them. I realized that God has placed me in the midst of a hurting world so I can share His love with those who desperately need it.

 Toph together with the participants of Touch Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu, 2009)

In the beginning, I was assigned as the team’s graphic artist and at the same, as the assistant for Batang Krayola.  I truly enjoyed serving Him, and indeed, when we can be trusted with little things, God will entrust to us, bigger things.  In 2009, our team leader talked to me if I will be willing to lead the Batang Krayola ministry.  It is indeed a huge task, but again, God reminded me of His purpose for my life.  I realized that God is opening a door for me to reach out to the helpless, the hopeless and the less-privileged.  So without any hesitation, I gladly accepted the role. 

So from then on, I’ve serving street children and we have set-up several programs to meet their needs.  Currently, we have a Day Care center, a ministry we set-up so that mothers can leave their children to us for free so that they can go to work.  It all started when we saw children left alone to play in the street on their own.  We found out that their mothers had no choice but to do that because they can’t bring their children to work.  We also do hygiene clinic, feeding ministry, DVBS, medical mission and Christmas parties for street children and their families.


Toph and some of the Batang Krayola kids

No comments: