Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Meet the YM Team - Pen Pen (YM Partnership Director)

The Personal Testimony of Josephine A. Bullo (Pen-Pen)



I felt as if I was at the end of the rope.  When God came to rescue me in the depths of guilt, sin and shame, I was so broken, hopeless, in despair and in total misery. Many who knew me then shake their heads in disbelief.  It was totally opposite of what is to be expected from someone who grew up in church and a daughter of a pastor.

I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior and Lord when I was only 9 years old, through a Daily Vacation Bible School in our community one summer.  I have surrendered everything to Him, which includes my broken dreams and miserable life. I have then decided to follow Him and love Him more and more each day.

Though I was quiet most of the time, I actively attended church gatherings, youth fellowships and camps.  When given the opportunity, I served in our as a Sunday school assistant; teacher and I made myself available to help in whatever I could. It was at the time that my father, who also made himself available to help in whatever he could, became a deacon and eventually a pastor.  

Though it seems good that my father became a pastor, it wasn't very good for me.  I could say that it was one of the most difficult times in my life.  Many times, I felt that people in the church were always watching every single moment in my life. 

Then trials came, coupled with failures and temptations that overwhelmed my growing up years.  Slowly but surely, I was falling and sliding.  I had stepped into something that led to the darkest and the most dreadful part of my life.

As the years passed, I had to stop, re-think and do self-evaluation.  I still felt so lost and hopeless that I once have tried committing suicide.  To make it worst, I was also hooked and addicted to many vices.   

I was at the very end of the rope when I suddenly remembered to pray and tried talking to the God I have known when I was only 9.  I asked Him to give me another chance, to give me hope and once again to please have mercy upon my life that at that point was so devastated - no hope, no life.

In the year 2000, during my birthday, my parents asked me to join a mission exposure trip to Bangkok, Thailand.  I was very hesitant to join. In my mind, there were thoughts of uncertainties, questions as to what lies ahead? I kept asking myself, “What would happen next?”

During my stay in Thailand, I kept asking God if He would give me another chance.  Will He be still my Savior? I asked Him once again really rule over my life. Then, I once again experienced God's powerful moving in my life.  His mercy overflowed, I have witnessed again and again His unfailing and unconditional love.

Medical Mission in Siem Reap - October 2010 (Touch Cambodia) 

Right there and then, I have committed my life in serving Him.  I saw how I wasted my life before and yet He lovingly accepted me when I came back to Him.  All I could ever think of is how I can show Him how thankful and grateful I am for His faithfulness and goodness.

When I went back to the Philippines, I started looking for a ways to serve.  So I started helping in Medical Missions and I volunteered in doing community work in different areas in Metro Manila. I served under International Teams Philippines Urban Ministries.    

Then in 2006 God has directed me to commit my life in serving with the Youth Mobilization team.  My main task ever since is to partner with churches.  My main goal is to help build ministries of partner churches and to empower pastors and leaders.  I believe that the power of Jesus Christ will mightily move in the Churches so they can be a blessing to their community and other communities, to the nation and to the world.

Pen Pen (first from the left) in Kota Kinabalu, where she led youth leaders for a short term mission trip (Touch Malaysia - 2009)

As I look back all through the years that passed, God's presence is truly evident in every aspect of my life.  Even during those times I was lost, He never left me nor forsaken me.  Because of that, I have committed my life not just to meet the spiritual needs and values formation of the youth, but I seek the total transformation of their lives.  

(Psalm 23:6) “Surely goodness and loving-kindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”  

Pen-Pen currently is the Partnership Director of the Youth Mobilization team.  Her main objectives are to establish, build and strengthen relationship with partner churches, and to empower, support and further develop leaders.

No comments: